WHAT IS VAGINAL THRUSH?
Thrush is a type of yeast infection, caused by the fungus Candida albicans (in over 90% of cases). Although C. albicans is part of the normal flora that lives in the mouth, throat, intestine and vagina, it may become pathogenic and cause symptoms such as vaginal discharge and itchiness.4
Vaginal thrush (or vulvovaginal candidiasis) is a common condition that afflicts approximately 75 % of all sexually active women at least once in their life.5
WHAT CAUSES VAGINAL THRUSH?4
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS?4,5
WHAT IS RECURRING VAGINAL THRUSH?
Recurring vaginal thrush is defined as 4 or more episodes within a 1 year period.5
TREATMENT OF VAGINAL THRUSH
It is important to visit your healthcare provider to ensure that there is no underlying cause for recurring vaginal thrush.
Vaginal thrush is commonly treated with an antibiotic or antifungal (or both)5, however, increasing concern exists over antibiotic resistance and the repeated use of antibiotics for the treatment of recurring infections.
Healthy vaginal flora is dominated by lactobacillus bacteria, which play an important role in protecting against vaginal and genital infections.6
HOW IS IT ADMINISTERED?
1 Impact RX: Data on file
2. Reid G, Charbonneau D, et al. Oral use of Lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1® significantly alters vaginal flora: randomized placebo-controlled trial in 64 healthy women. FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 2003; 35: 131-134.
3. Reid G, Hammond J, Bruce AW. Effect of Lactobacilli Oral Supplement on the Vaginal Microflora of Antibiotic Treated Patients; Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Study. Nutr Food 2003; 8: 145-148.
4. Mayo Clinic definition: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/yeast-infection/basics/definition/con-20035129 accessed October 2017.
5. Martinez RCR, Franceschini SA et al. Improved treatment of vulvovaginal candidiasis with fluconaze plus probiotic Lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1 and Lactobacillus reuteri RC-14.
6. Petricevic L, Unger FM et al. Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of oral lactobacilli to improve the vaginal flora of postmenopausal women. European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology 141 (2008) 54 – 57.
S0 Reuterina™ Femme: Each veg capsule contains 2,5 x 109 cfu’s of Lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1 and 2,5 x 109 cfu’s of Lactobacillus reuteri RC-14 until expiry date.