HOW DOES POWER YOGA BUILD MUSCLE?
Adapted from the basic Ashtanga yoga, power yoga requires increased energy, focus, and strength. Although power yoga evolved from the basics, it certainly is not a basic course.
How does it help build muscle? Most poses are held for five full breaths versus the usual one to three breaths. Muscles are challenged as the mind and body have to work together simultaneously to hold a position without giving up.
Breathing, posing, moving, and increasing flexibility happen together at one time, which unearths a new level of discipline in your mind and body.
POWER YOGA AND THE CORE
Isometric exercises are one of the best ways to build core strength. Isometric, stemming from the words “same” and “length,” simply translates to holding one position without moving. Power yoga uses isometric exercises along with other postures that are designed to make the core and back stronger.
Flexibility and balance stem from your core, so it’s important to train this area of the body. In turn, you can increase the strength and health of your entire body.
Generally a high-temperature room is used in this practice to help keep the muscles warm and release additional toxins from the body.
POWER YOGA’S EFFECT ON THE BODY
Here’s a list of some of the most beneficial aspects of power yoga:
- It increases endurance, strength, and flexibility.
- Mental endurance and physical stamina are tested through holding postures for extended breaths.
- Arm and shoulder strength is increased as you use your own body weight for resistance.
- Lats, traps, and other back muscles begin to support the spine better than before.
- Abdominals and obliques are refined and toned through building core muscles.
- Posture begins to correct itself over time.
- Hip flexors are stretched and strengthened.
- Glutes, quads, hamstrings, and calves are strengthened.
No matter what ails your aching body, or if you just want to take your fitness to a higher level, power yoga’s ability to build muscle has an undeniable effect on the total body.
Medinformer has teamed up with the good folk at Yoga Anytime to offer you a 30 day subscription, absolutely free.
In order to qualify for this special offer, please Like our page by clicking the like button below and we will send you a voucher code entitling you to 30 days unlimited access.
Note: Should you have any reservations or health issues that you are concerned about please check with your GP before commencing with the program.