1. Impact RX: Data on file 2. Rome III diagnostic criteria on Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders (FGID). 3. Chau K, et al. Probiotics for infantile colic. A randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial investigating Lactobacillus reuteri DSM 17938. J Pediatr. 2015. 166 (1): 74 – 78. 4. Indrio F, et al. Prophylactic use of a probiotic in the prevention of colic, regurgitation, and functional constipation. A randomised clinical trial. JAMA Pediatr. 2014;168:228-233. 5. Harb T, et al. Infant Colic – What works: A Systematic Review of Interventions for Breastfed Infants. JPGN Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition Publish Ahead of Print. 2016. S0 Reuterina™ Drops: Each 0,2 ml or 5 drops contain a minimum of 1 x 108 live freeze-dried cfu’s of Lactobacillus reuteri Protectis® (Strain DSM 17938) until expiry date.
While it is normal for newborns to fuss and cry, if they cry uncontrollably for extended periods of time, three hours a day or more, they could have colic.
WHAT IS INFANT COLIC?2
The internationally accepted definition of colic is:
When an otherwise healthy baby has unexplained episodes of fussing and crying for at least 3 hours per day for 3 days per week for at least 1 week.
HOW COMMON IS COLIC?3
Up to 40 % of all babies are diagnosed with infant colic.
HOW LONG WILL IT LAST?3
Colic normally starts between 2 and 4 weeks of age and ends around 3 months. While colic is self-limiting, it can be very distressing to both the parents and the baby.
WHAT CAUSES COLIC?3,4
Despite decades of research, the cause of colic remains uncertain. There are probably multiple contributing factors.
In recent years, the role of GUT flora has come into focus, and clinical trials agree that colicky infants tend to have lower counts of lactobacilii bacteria in their GUT than non-colicky ones.
TIPS TO PARENTS WITH COLICKY BABIES
- Remember, this will pass, even if it doesn’t feel like it right now.
- Crying time is often increased when a baby senses distress in his/her parents, so try and take turns in calming and soothing baby during episodes of colic.
- Accept help – even if it is just a warm cup of tea and a hug.
- Consult your healthcare professional if you are feeling overwhelmed or distressed.
HOW CAN REUTERINA™ DROPS ASSIST?
Reuterina™ Drops have been clinically proven to reduce the crying time in colicky infants by up to 50 % within 7 days of first administration.