What ailments are associated with a BLOCKED NOSE?1
Colds, sinusitis and hay fever – these are common ailments that cause blocked noses in millions of people around the world at any one time.
Of these three ailments, the cold is the most widespread and frequently experienced, which is why we often call it ‘the common cold’.1
All three of these conditions share similar symptoms such as a runny nose, a blocked or stuffy nose and sneezing.1
What causes a BLOCKED NOSE?
A blocked nose occurs when an infection or allergy causes the blood vessels in the nasal cavity to swell and for excessive fluid or mucus to be produced. This gives rise to a ‘stuffy feeling’.6
The sinuses and entire nasal cavity are lined with a thick layer of tissue called the nasal mucosa (also known as the mucocilliary layer or apparatus). This mucous membrane is responsible for transporting mucus. It provides an important defence mechanism against inhaled organisms and pollutants.3,4,5
How do we treat a BLOCKED NOSE?
Over-the-counter (OTC) relief for congestion
OTC medicines, such as decongestants, may help relieve a blocked nose and can make breathing more comfortable. These medicines help to narrow the blood vessels in the lining of the nose and in this way help to relieve nasal stuffiness.6
Decongestant nasal sprays and drops work quickly as they are applied directly to the nasal tissue that is affected. However, they should not be used for more than 3 days as they can make congestion worse.
Drixine® Nasal Spray
Drixine® Nasal Spray contains the decongestant oxymetazoline which works fast and has an effect which lasts for up to 12 hours.7,8
Saline nasal sprays
Saline is salt water and is thought to work by improving the function of the nasal mucosa or mucociliary apparatus.9 Saline sprays can be used to relieve blocked noses, clear excess mucus from the nose and improve breathing.11
Saline sprays are mainly available in 2 forms, namely isotonic and hypertonic solutions.10
The Isotonic solutions have the same salt concentration as the cells that line the nasal cavity whereas hypertonic solutions have a higher salt concentration.10
Drixine® PureSea 11
A Natural Solution for easy breathing, Drixine® PureSea Nasal Sprays improve nasal breathing and have many benefits. They are non-medicated, don’t contain preservatives or synthetic additives and can be used by pregnant and breast feeding women. They are also simple to use.
References – Further Reading:
1. Derebery MJ, Dicpinigaitis PV. New Horizons: Current and Potential Future Self-Treatment for Acute Upper Respiratory Tract Conditions. Postgraduate Medicine 2013; 125(Issue 1):82-96.
2. Porter RS (Ed-in-chief), The Merck Manual Home Health Handbook 2009: 1397-9. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey 2009. ISBN 978-1-11811-448-9.
3. Chirico G, Beccagutti F. Nasal obstruction in neonates and infants. Minerva Pediatr 2010; 62(5):499-505.
4. Rabago D. The Use of Saline Nasal Irrigation in Common Upper respiratory Conditions. US Pharmacist.com Continuing Education Available from URL: https://www.uspharmacist.com/ce (Accessed 26.02.2016).
5. Papsin B, Mc Tavish A. Saline nasal irrigation: Its role as an adjunct treatment. Can Fam Physician 2003; 49:168-173.
6. O’Shaughnessy KM, editor. British Medical Association New Guide to Medicines & Drugs 7th ed. London(UK) Dorling Kindersley; 2011:34-37, 51. 3.
7. Beck-Speier I, Oswald B, Maier KL, et al. Oxymetazoline Inhibits and Resolves Inflammatory Reactions in Human Neutrophils. J Pharmacol Sci 2009; 110:276-284.
8. Approved Drixine 0.05 % Nasal Drops, Nasal Spray and Pump Spray Package Insert.
9. NIH-PA Author Manuscript. Saline Nasal Irrigation for Upper Respiratory Conditions. Am Fam Physician 2009; 80(10):1117-9.
10. Achilles N, Mösges R. Nasal Saline Irrigations for the Symptoms of Acute and Chronic Rhinosinusitis. Curr Allergy Asthma Rep 2013;13:229-235.
11. Drixine PureSea Package Inserts.
S1 Drixine 0.05 % Nasal Spray and Pump Spray. H 1376 (Act 101/1965). Each ml contains 0.5 mg oxymetazoline hydrochloride. For further information please refer to the full prescribing information approved by the Medicines Regulatory Authority.
Drixine PureSea BABY NASAL SPRAY. Each 20 ml isotonic metered spray contains natural, sterilised and chemical-free isotonic diluted seawater.
Drixine PureSea NASAL HYGIENE SPRAY. Each 75 ml isotonic continuous spray contains natural, sterilised and chemical-free isotonic diluted seawater.
Drixine PureSea NASAL SPRAY. Each 75 ml hypertonic continuous spray contains natural, sterilised and chemical-free hypertonic (salt concentration at 22 g/l) diluted seawater.